Monday, March 9, 2009

A spring college weekend

It was 70 degrees in Ohio this weekend! I never really understood how everyone in Ohio goes into a semi-depression during the months of January and February until I realized I had fallen into the trap until Saturday. I for the first time actually noticed that I had been miserable all winter. As Lewis Black eloquently spoke, "Winter sucks, it is so cold that I can't even finish my sentences in my head... I need to go to the grocery store, the video store... F**k it's cold!" This couldn't be any more true. Every time you get in your car it is like locking yourself inside a frozen cave for 5 minutes.

So when I got the chance to wake up to 70 degrees, I took full advantage. We invited everyone to come over to our place and "play outside." My brother brought over girls, we cranked up the stereo, probably tossed 20 games of cornhole, invited the hot girls from the apartment complex over, made friends with the neighbors (who brought down lawn darts!) drank a smorgasbord of beers, and BS'd until we told stories about Chopotle, which obviously lead to a dinner run.

Now this is why we live in Ohio! The contrast between winter and spring basically feels like being resurrected from the dead. The dull gray of winter is gone, and the pastel colors of spring are alive. Isn't it also great how all the girls come out of hibernation in the spring? Where do these gorgeous girls hide all winter? Do they all get taken up with Santa until spring? Are they all huge NHL fans? Do chicks get addicted to Xbox? Regardless, it is nice to see everyone firing at 100% efficiency again.

So when you get the chance to enjoy the weather, go for it big, invite everyone over, pump up the jams, grill out, throw some bags, and make friends with everyone around you. Do it all in a high traffic area, so that people will want to join you. That type of atmosphere is hard to miss, and will attract some fun people. Hope you all enjoy the new climate, and keep checking back in...

1 comment:

  1. Great story and good tips on being social. It can work wonders if you bump into the right people.

    ReplyDelete